Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Book - How to Be Like Women of Influence #WOI

This book is written by Pat and Ruth Williams (Orlando Magic).  The last quarter of the year I try to get focus and ready for the New Year.  This is the first book I am reading for the quarter. I thought I would highlight some of the women in the book:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

How to Be Like Eleanor Roosevelt

  1. Strive to keep your social conscience awake and vibrant at all times.  This is so important in these times where so many people are homeless or lacking the finances they are used to having.  It could be you in that situation.
  2. Blaze new paths and don't allow yourself to be restricted by outdated traditions.  Working at Girl Scouts it reminds me of volunteers & staffs who want to always refer to 'we use to'.  There is a reason that we have changed, learned, & grown.  We don't forget about what Girl Scouts stands for, but we can't be restricted by outdated traditions.
  3. See things for yourself, wherever you have to go to do so. This reminds me that I have to get my passport.  I have been a lot of places in the US, but it is time to venture outside of the US.  I have to experience things, see things myself.
  4. Don't shy away from making your opinions known.  Well, I have never had a problem with this. I grew up in a family; where we were allow having a voice.  As long as we did it respectfully.
  5. Pay attention to the details.  I couldn't agree more.  If you don't pay attention to the details you may miss something.  I may be a "Just Do It!" person, but I do pay attention to the details.  Also, I want to know everything about everything.
  6. Communicate with everyone you need to. Let your voice be heard.  Mrs. Roosevelt did through her daily syndicated newspaper column "My Day."  We do it through blogging, twitter, Facebook, and so many other ways.  Don't be silent.  What you have to say is important.
  7. When you feel something is wrong, take a stand.  Thank God for Martin Luther King, II, Rosa Parks, and all the other individuals that took a stand that I may the privileges that I have in life.  Yet, we still need to continue to take a stand on issues we believe in.  I say a longtime friend tonight and she is a Republican.  I admire her.  She talks about how she goes to gatherings and she may be the only African American in the room, but she is taken a stand with her political beliefs.  As an African American, we need Republicans, Independents, Democrats, etc.  We need to have an impact and we cannot do that being in one political party.
  8. Stay mentally strong.  No matter what you go through in life --stay mentally strong.  Stay focus.
  9. Realize you're never too old to contribute to society.  I will be 50 next year and I feel like I am just getting started.  I know that I have so much more to contribute to society and especially to girls. 
  10. Make use of all the hours in the day.  That has been a problem for me.  I am always awake odd hours of the night, trying to get something done.  Yet, I still believe what my grandmother told me, "The early bird catches the worm".  My natural alarm goes off at 5 am most days.  I always thing, if I sleep in I will miss something. 
  11. Live your life with passion and boldness.  I love this statement.  You have to read the book to see what she believed on this statement.  I work at Girl Scouts, because I have a passion for girls.  It is not about the paycheck.  I do the work on purpose, every day.
  12. Do what your heart tells you and don't ever worry about what the critics say.  No one is going to like everything you do, so you might as well do what your heart tells you to do.  You are always going to have haters.
  13. Make the most of every day of your life.  Don't waste the time that God has given.  I live my life on purpose every single day of my life.  I will leave this earth empty. (Read - Robbing the Grave of Its Greatness! by Delatorro L. McNeal II)
  14. Know your strengths.  Everyone always wants to focus on their weaknesses instead of their strengths.  If you focus on your strengths, you won't even be aware of your weaknesses.  CEOs everyday hires individuals that have assets that don't have.  They don't spend time trying to gain those assets; they hire someone that already has those skills and abilities.

 

As always I am commanding my day,

 

Mary C Hartfield

No comments: